Posted on: January 3rd, 2013
Truism: Any day on a snowboard is a good day. But it’s pretty cool to be one of a million or so snowboarders worldwide, hitting the mountain and carving turns on the same day. World Snowboard Day is just such a global phenomenon. The snowboarder’s holiday, if you will. And this year, the Ride Vermont crew set a course for Stratton Resort to stand sideways among the ranks of our fellow riders in observance.
Stratton, as any self-respecting boarder is well aware, has a long history of breeding professional talent. The renowned Stratton Mountain School has spit out Olympian icons like Louie Vito, Danny Davis and Lindsey Jacobellis (to name just a few) and the resort’s long legacy of hosting Burton’s US Open Snowboarding Championship earned it the reputation as a proving ground for young up and comers hoping to go big time.
It only felt natural that a day dedicated to snowboarding should be celebrated on a mountain with such deep roots in the sport. And we were glad we did.
One of the many events Stratton had planned for riders was the chance to join a snowboard-only flash mob and charge down Suntanner in the early afternoon hours. We went along for the ride to shoot a quick video (see below), share the holiday with our fellow shredders and even give away a few lift tickets.
Needless to say, it was a great way for riders to come together and enjoy being part of the greater snowboarding community — a million riders strong at least. Most of all, it was a perfect day to slide on snow and have fun, and that’s what snowboarding is all about.
From the Archives...
- Cow Power and Water-saving Snow Guns
- Two Awesome Ways to Stand Sideways in May
- Where to Get Your Late Season Shred
- Fun, Sun & Beer: Spring Pond Skims & Events
- How Much Winter is Left?
- PHOTOS: Winter Storm Vulcan in Vermont
- Another Day, Another Deal
- Events & Things to Do in Vermont Right Now
- Cheer on Team USA & Win Vermont Lift Tickets
- Vermont Riders to Watch at the Sochi Olympics
- Vermont Valentine’s Day Lift Ticket Deals 2014
- Vermonters Take Gold at 2014 X Games
- Party On, Vermont, at January College Weeks
- Learn to Snowboard for $29 in January
- Vermont Snow Report: Thanks Santa!
- Vermont Snow Report: POW! in December
- Vermont Snow Report: Snowy December
- Vermont Discount Lift Tickets: Early Season
- Eat Your Heart Out: Thanksjibbing Winners
- Win Lift Tickets: Happy Thanks-jibbing Contest