Posted on: January 3rd, 2013
Truism: Any day on a snowboard is a good day. But it’s pretty cool to be one of a million or so snowboarders worldwide, hitting the mountain and carving turns on the same day. World Snowboard Day is just such a global phenomenon. The snowboarder’s holiday, if you will. And this year, the Ride Vermont crew set a course for Stratton Resort to stand sideways among the ranks of our fellow riders in observance.
Stratton, as any self-respecting boarder is well aware, has a long history of breeding professional talent. The renowned Stratton Mountain School has spit out Olympian icons like Louie Vito, Danny Davis and Lindsey Jacobellis (to name just a few) and the resort’s long legacy of hosting Burton’s US Open Snowboarding Championship earned it the reputation as a proving ground for young up and comers hoping to go big time.
It only felt natural that a day dedicated to snowboarding should be celebrated on a mountain with such deep roots in the sport. And we were glad we did.
One of the many events Stratton had planned for riders was the chance to join a snowboard-only flash mob and charge down Suntanner in the early afternoon hours. We went along for the ride to shoot a quick video (see below), share the holiday with our fellow shredders and even give away a few lift tickets.
Needless to say, it was a great way for riders to come together and enjoy being part of the greater snowboarding community — a million riders strong at least. Most of all, it was a perfect day to slide on snow and have fun, and that’s what snowboarding is all about.
From the Archives...
- Vermont Discount Lift Tickets: Early Season
- Eat Your Heart Out: Thanksjibbing Winners
- Win Lift Tickets: Happy Thanks-jibbing Contest
- Vermont Snow Report: Opening Days 2013
- Vermont October ’13 Snow Report, in Photos
- 7 Things Vermont and Snowboarding Have in Common
- Study Up: How to Choose a Vermont College Pass
- Guide to VT Season Pass Deals for 20-Somethings
- Under Construction: Summer News from Vermont Resorts
- Recap: 2013 Frendly Gathering
- #BeFrendly Photo Contest Winners
- Be Frendly! Photo Contest
- Top Three Summer Music Festivals in Vermont
- Spring Jams – It’s Not Over Yet
- Save on 2013-14 Season Passes
- Ride Grrrl: Carinthia’s Emma Graham
- Ride Grrrl: Carinthia’s Jaime Del Pizzo
- #iridebecause — Tell us Why You Ride, Win Stuff.
- Anticipated Closing Dates 2012-13
- “Bigfoot-Like” Creature Captured at Vermont Ski Resort