Posted on: October 31st, 2013
When Oktoberfest coincides with the seasons first turns, we’re not one to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth, just like we wouldn’t question the guy who hands us a nice frosty brew. Killington officially opened for the 2013-14 ski & ride season on October 25, 2013, firing up their lifts after just a couple of days of hardcore snowmaking. As riders begin to tally up their days on snow, they’re hitting the slopes elsewhere too, thanks to October snowfall up and down the Green Mountains.
To celebrate the first turns of the season, sit back and enjoy some really early season snow porn.
Here’s one from Killington on October 26, 2013 (it still feels weird writing that…):
The Beast pushed that big red “Start” button and fired up the snowguns around October 23, followed closely by opening day on October 25. And they just kept right on going.
Meanwhile, the Green Mountain State is looking green no longer — from Jay Peak to Mount Snow, those first sweet flakes are hitting the slopes. Jay’s snow cloud delivered a good half a foot, ripe for the hiking.
Seems like Snow-tober has become a trend in recent years here in the mountains, and it’s one we’ll get behind (unlike Shaun White’s skinny pants). Better still are a few more words to get your heart beating faster: “above normal snow,” straight from Accuweather.com’s Winter Forecast.
Got some photos of your own season opener? Share them with the Ride Vermont crew on Facebook, Twitter (@RideVermont) or Instagram (@RideVermont, #ridevt).
From the Archives...
- Another Day, Another Deal
- Events & Things to Do in Vermont Right Now
- Cheer on Team USA & Win Vermont Lift Tickets
- Vermont Riders to Watch at the Sochi Olympics
- Vermont Valentine’s Day Lift Ticket Deals 2014
- Vermonters Take Gold at 2014 X Games
- Party On, Vermont, at January College Weeks
- Learn to Snowboard for $29 in January
- Vermont Snow Report: Thanks Santa!
- Vermont Snow Report: POW! in December
- Vermont Snow Report: Snowy December
- Vermont Discount Lift Tickets: Early Season
- Eat Your Heart Out: Thanksjibbing Winners
- Win Lift Tickets: Happy Thanks-jibbing Contest
- Vermont Snow Report: Opening Days 2013
- Vermont October ’13 Snow Report, in Photos
- 7 Things Vermont and Snowboarding Have in Common
- Study Up: How to Choose a Vermont College Pass
- Guide to VT Season Pass Deals for 20-Somethings
- Under Construction: Summer News from Vermont Resorts