Posted on: February 6th, 2013
Last July’s announcement that Burton would be re-locating the legendary US Open Snowboarding Competition to Vail, broke the hearts of countless Vermont snowboarders and Stratton faithfuls, and enraged countless others. After a 30-year marriage with the Green Mountains, the event had come to feel as much a part of Vermont lifestyle as craft beer, maple syrup — heck, even mud season.
But considering the high cost and growing challenges of producing the event on the east coast, especially after last season’s disgustingly under-whelming snowfall… it’s easier to align with their reasoning. We’re still not saying we like it, but for better or worse, that ship has sailed.
As they say… “when one door closes, another opens” and a new chapter in Vermont snowboarding culture is already here. Enter, the Vermont Open Snowboard and Music Festival.
WHEN: March 14-17, 2013
WHERE: Stratton Mountain Resort (main face)
WHAT: A weekend of competition, music and partying for snowboarders of all statuses.
REGISTRATION: $135… includes 3-day lift ticket, entrance to all competitions, venues + official parties, Legends Session gift pack, St. Patty’s Day Brunch
Riders can enter in one of four categories (junior, amateur, pro and “washed-up” — a snowboarder who’s retired from the pro circuit) and compete in three events held over three days: Rail Jam on Friday with finals Friday night, Halfpipe on Saturday and Banked Slalom (a.k.a. The Washed Up Cup) closing things out on Sunday.
All events are open to all registrants (one of the big differences from the old US Open structure) meaning amateurs will be competing right along side pros and ex-pros alike.
If you aspire to one day be a pro rider, schmoozing with the likes of T-Rice and Louie Vito, traveling the world to film edits and compete on live TV, then you’ll have to prove to the washed up crowd that you’re worthy. Here’s your chance.
Or if you just want to be a part of an awesome new event and become a local legend or hometown hero in your own time, this is still your chance. So… what are you waiting for?
Register now at vermontopen.com.
In addition to the comps, Stratton will be hosting plenty of live music all weekend (check back for the band line-up), parties at the Green Door Pub with the crew of Hayes Brother’s Snowboards, BBQs and a St. Patty’s Day Brunch on Sunday.
You can count on Ride Vermont providing on-going coverage and you can follow #VTopen on twitter for more leading up to and during the first-ever event.
From the Archives...
- Spring Jams – It’s Not Over Yet
- Save on 2013-14 Season Passes
- Ride Grrrl: Carinthia’s Emma Graham
- Ride Grrrl: Carinthia’s Jaime Del Pizzo
- #iridebecause — Tell us Why You Ride, Win Stuff.
- Anticipated Closing Dates 2012-13
- “Bigfoot-Like” Creature Captured at Vermont Ski Resort
- 2013 Vermont Open Results: Halfpipe
- 2013 Vermont Open Results: Rail Jam
- The Vermont Open Will Not Be Televised
- Vermont Open Music Lineup Announced
- 5 Steps for Pre-Storm Preparedness
- Stratton Announces First-Ever #VTOpen
- 5 Vermont-Approved Tips for Staying Warm While Riding
- Snowboarder Flash Mob at Stratton Mountain, VT
- TGIP: Thank God It’s Pow-day
- Learn to Ride in Vermont for $30 Bucks
- Winter Returns in a Post-Apocalypse World
- Check in, Ride, Win, Repeat
- Win Free Lift Tix Every Tuesday